SMS IN SMALL ORGANISATIONS
There is some safety management systems-guidance for small non complex organisations available, but setting up the SMS for a small aviation organisation can be daunting.
Especially the time needed to study up on all the concepts can be a big stumbling block.
If you work in a small organisation, you probably have a “day-job” too, so there is little time available to research everything.
Because open courses have to cover all aspects of the SMS, people from small organisations often hear about a lot of info which is not applicable to them. While the SMS concepts are the same, the small organisation can use a lot simpler tools and administration.
If you start reading the ICAO 9859 document or other guidance materials, it can be hard to figure out where to start.
The available documentation and courses focus mostly on how to do SMS in medium to large organisations.
However even the small organisation needs to cover all the basic functions of the SMS to be considered effective.
Unfortunately SMS is not one of those things you can buy as an off-the-shelf software product and be done with it. (Although some unscrupulous software vendors like to tell you their software will “do” SMS for you) You will have to set up and customise the SMS for your organisation.
A good solution might be for you to work with a Safety/ Risk/ Management coach. Working with S/R/M Coach allows you to focus on the needs of your organisation and set up a small and efficient SMS which does not get in the way of your day to day business.
You can save a lot of time by having an experienced practitioner available at all times to give you tips and tricks which allow
you to be efficient in the set up and running of the system.
Also, in exceptional circumstances, the S/R/M coach can help with analysis, complex investigations, presentations etc.
which will save you a lot of time and headache.
Because the sessions are remote and brief, they are both affordable and fit in your busy schedule.
Book a session, it is very affordable and you will find it very helpful to have an expert explain SMS to you.
- 19 Nov 2017Our (mis)understanding of complexity in Safety: it´s not complicated it´s complex!I am developing my ideas around complexity to involve it more in my Safety Management courses, I thi...
- 28 Feb 2017Complexity and decision making: Is SMS enough? [EBASCON 2017]This post is meant as a resource page for a talk I gave at EBASCON 2017 in Munich. I will include li...
- 19 Dec 2016Is SMS enough? Complexity thinking and taking action…Last year I spoke at the excellent safety event organised by Líder Aviação in Rio de Janeiro. My que...
- 20 Oct 2015The purpose of SMS: Is SMS enough to make our organisations safer?The purpose of SMS: “Is SMS enough to make our organisations safer?” It was my great ple...
- 23 Mar 2015What motivates people and why does it matter to Safety Communication?Some basic (and up to date) knowledge about how motivation works is one of the crucial tools you nee...
- +34 601093969
- Skype: "Janelviajero"